Lock Haven University
Lock Haven, PA
Lock Haven, PA
Come home to the Haven
Lock Haven University, aka The Haven, offers a safe and scenic location in central Pennsylvania. Our beautiful campus is surrounded by picturesque mountains and overlooks the Susquehanna River.
Small, personal, and affordable
As a small university with a big selection of academic programs, we make sure you get the best of both worlds. You’ll benefit from small class sizes, personal attention, and a community that’s like a second family, along with the freedom to study whatever subjects you’re passionate about. Being part of the Pennsylvania State System allows us to charge lower tuition than private schools while still providing a quality educational experience. Since 1870, The Haven has offered an unbeatable combination of quality, affordability, and value while serving our region, the Commonwealth, and beyond.
With 57 majors and 41 minors to choose from, you're sure to find the right combination to take you where you want to go. Heighten your college experience by joining our honors program, studying abroad, or completing an internship. Our dedicated faculty and staff will ensure that you're equipped with the knowledge to be successful in your field of study.
• Technology: Virtualized computer labs, SMART boards, and wireless access in classrooms
• A global perspective: Study abroad programs in over 20 countries, and international students enriching the climate on campus
• Active learning: Internships and field experience, service, and undergraduate research
Outside the classroom
From your first visit to your 50-year reunion, being a part of Lock Haven is about much more than getting a degree. It means new experiences and time-worn traditions. It’s a community that becomes family and a campus that becomes home.
• 17 intercollegiate athletic programs, including NCAA Division I field hockey and wrestling; all other sports competing at the NCAA D-II level and Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference
• Over 100 clubs and organizations
• Club and intramural sports, movies, theatre, jazz and marching band, student government, cheerleading, dance, student newspaper, ROTC, and more
• Exceptional campus dining, including Bentley Dining Hall (buffet style), Eagle Rock at Lower Bentley (food court style), Chick-fil-A, Starbucks, and Nanobites (deli style)
Ranked #38 among the "Top Public Schools in the North" | U.S. News & World Report, 2022
The University is located on the West Branch of the Susquehanna River in the scenic mountains of central Pennsylvania, a few minutes off I-80 (exit 178). The historic town of Lock Haven boasts a vital downtown with tree-lined streets and beautiful Victorian homes in a safe and quiet environment. The town is less than an hour from State College and Williamsport and four hours from New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Washington, DC. Our Clearfield campus (an hour to the west) serves traditional and non-traditional students.
• 2,293 students on the main campus, 173 in Clearfield
• 454 graduate students
• 6% African American, 4% Hispanic, 1% Asian, 0.6% International, 85% Caucasian
• 37% male, 63% female
• 8% of undergraduates from outside Pennsylvania, including 36 states and 16 other countries
• Most popular majors:
- Sport Management
- Recreation Management
- Health Sciences
- Criminal Justice
- Social Work
- Communication Media
• Degrees awarded (2020–2021):
- 77 associate
- 513 bachelor's
- 127 master's
• An Honors program available
• All students completing an internship or other "real-world" experience